Thursday, August 11, 2011

Homegrown Tomatoes


Especially this time of year I have to agree with the Bluedogs when they say, "There's only two things that money can't buy; That's true love and homegrown tomatoes" and apparently I'm not the only one in our house in agreement.


The tomato bandit runs into the den and says, "Mmmm, I'm jus' eatin' my peach." Nope, that's not a peach, but God bless you for eating an entire tomato like one.

And speaking of the deliciousness of homegrown tomatoes, I have been eating lots of my Grandmother's tomato salad and I'm going to share how we make it. For most of you this will be amusing, the recipe, that is, because 8 in 10 of you will think this recipe sounds gross. I see friends posting their favorite recipes, so I will do thusly in this tomato themed post.

To make one such delicious tomato salad you peel and dice 3 tomatoes being careful to not lose any juice on your counter or down your dish drain; place in a bowl and salt them a tad. Next add one chopped boiled egg, a dollap of Duke's mayonnaise, and stir together. Just before you're about dig in, crush 6 or so Ritz crackers over the slurry...don't crush too many or they'll soak up all the precious tomato mayo juice. Pepper and devour.

Delicious. I don't care what you say!

No comments:

Post a Comment